Keeping this page up-to-date is damn near impossible with how fast everything is progressing.
L.Y.G.O. originally stood for Laugh Your Grits Off because we started with a brunch + comedy show on May 25, 2012. Top-tier DC comedic talent, mimosas, great music, and bacon.
D.C. stands for District of Columbia, ya dingus.
We offer a wide-variety of shows now:
- Wake & Bacon – that’s the brunch + comedy tradition still going
- Regular evening showcase at the Bier Baron Showroom on Wednesdays and Thrusdays
- Several very popular specialty shows like Comics Against Humanity
With dozens of DC comics working together and the support of so many more, the LYGO DC team has:
- Featured over 300 local, regional, national, and international comedians;
- Been featured in over a dozen local and regional publications and media outlets, including the Washington Post who encapsulated the spirit of LYGO DC’s DIY movement. “The fact that people are curating shows here and putting a lot of effort into them makes a huge difference. The comedy scene is at a critical mass right now.”;
- Partnered with and donated thousands of dollars to more than a dozen local charities;
- Attained thousands of “follows,” “Likes,” “sign-ups”, and other social media connections;
- Driven over $40,000 in revenue for over a half-dozen local businesses;
- Partnered with sponsor Speak Easy Spirits DC, Students for Sensible Drug Policy, and nearly a dozen others to provide premium beer and spirits at all our venues and assorted other promotions,
- Entertained thousands of DMV brunch- and evening show goers thanks to the incredible comedic talent the DMV has to offer.
Our mission is three-fold:
- Laughs. Expand the enjoyment of comedy throughout the DMV metro area. DC is home to over 600,000 people and is visited daily by over 1.4 million. Each and every one will need a laugh and we want to them to know they have a home at LYGO DC when they do.
- Community. LYGO DC only exists because of the thriving comedy community that came before it. Our role is to enhance the community and build up others — the open mics, the professional shows, the “big” venues and theaters, the writers, sketch groups, improvisers and the lot. We’re not with you, we are you.
- Advancement. Help comics launch their careers by providing a bridge from open mics to full-time comedy gigs with professional appearances–from hosting to featuring to headlining, and serving as a tour stop for national comedians to entertain home-city, energetic crowds.