Both LYGO DC Alums,¬†Jeff Maurer, appeared on The Mariya Alexander Show¬†and discussed, among other things, doing crowd work from a comedian’s perspective. ¬†Here’s a direct link. ¬†Originally calling it “two rules of crowd work” he and Mariya expanded it slightly:
- Talk to someone who wants to be talked to;
- Have a conversation until they say something stupid/funny;
- Riff on the stupid/funny;
- Keep the exchanges quick;
- Optimally, transition into a pre-written bit; and
- During very long sets, utilize crowd work about every 10 minutes as a palette cleanser.
Within a few short hours, he put it to use at our Flava brunch show.