(Re-posted from its original post here:¬†Entertainment Agent Blog)
With open mics springing up left and right and theaters and the Improv holding down the national-known acts, there was a seeming soft spot in the middle — paid shows where comics could improve, venues could profit, and audiences would save a few bucks and still consistently laugh.
Far from a ghost town for these kinds of shows, metro DMV comedy relies on its surrounding areas; some of these shows were named in a recent Washington Post Editor’s pick. ¬†Excluding those that operate predominantly well-outside DC, such as Kaleidescope¬†and Uncle Dave Comedy, the weekly shows were:
- Thursday evening — Cool Cow Comedy — Arlington Cinema Draft House
- Friday late night — ThreeGuysOn — Arlington Cinema Draft House
- Saturday evening — StandUpComedyToGo — Bethesda Hyatt
The idea was to be 100% collaborative and mutually assisting — i.e. No stepping on toes. ¬†The idea was a Sunday Brunch & Comedy Show hackily¬†monikered¬†”Laugh Your Grits Off.” ¬†We had some resources and some learning to do…
6 months and hundreds of hours devoted to a labor of love, the Laugh Your Grits Off Show has:
- Featured over 60 local, regional, national, and international comedians;
- Been featured in nearly a dozen local and regional publications and media outlets;
- Partnered with and donated hundreds of dollars ¬†to several local charities;
- Attained thousands of “follows,” “Likes,” “sign-ups”, and other social media connections;
- Driven $1000s in off-hour revenue for a half-dozen local businesses;
- Received 2 sponsor-ships with a 3rd on the way; and, most importantly,
- Entertained hundreds of DMV brunch-goers by showing off the incredible comedic talent the DMV has to offer.
And with plenty more in the pipeline, that means…